Copyright © Global Coalition for Sustained Excellence in Food & Health Protection, 2011 and ALL subsequent years: Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owners is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Global Coalition for Sustained Excellence in Food & Health Protection with appropriate and specific reference and/or link to the original content.

Monday, 24 December 2012

The Insightful and the Light-Hearted - One-Question for Manufacturers



Here are some suggested single questions by the listed contributors that a manufacturer may be asked to assess the safety of that manufacturer’s products. New questions or questions with comments will be added as these are received from other contributors.


Glenn Oster: “Do you eat/drink what you make? And variations on that question. I have heard some very interesting responses to this question and the one that has always stuck with me is when I was at a pizza manufacturing plant. It came time for lunch and I was shocked when they ordered from a delivery restaurant - and they ordered pizza! They said their pizza wasn't really that good.... amazing!”

Fred Reimers: “. . . while it is unrealistic that you would ever assess the safety of a manufacturer's products with one question, I would phrase the question to get multiple answers. For example, ‘tell me in detail why you think your products are safe?’Another might be, ‘Give me a detailed summary of your food safety controls that assure your products are safe.’ The best audit protocols are the ones that ask questions in detail on all the critical areas that make up a food safety program. Let me take this opportunity to wish you and the GCSE staff a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2013.”

Bruce Becker: “Can I see your risk assessment for your food safety and food defense programs?”

Muhammad Zeeshan Zaki: “I would ask "Whether you have food safety system manual? If yes please provide for review and assessment of your food safety system."
The reason behind selecting it a most important and most significant question is that by having such a manual one could have a full scoop of information about risk assessment methodologies, applied food safety controls, documentation system, availability of inspection and testing procedures and overview of traceability system etc. Not having a manual or having a copy-paste-style manual reveals the fact that manufacturer is not organized and not committed about fulfilling basic requirements of food safety management.
Regards: Muhammad Zeeshan Zaki.”

Elhaj A. Elsiddig: “If you requested to do self assessment for your product Safety give evidence Enssuring that?”

Saleh Mulachela: “Just simple question: "when did it start and how often you, your family and relative consumed your own product as primary one?" I do expect prompt and straightforward answer from the manufacturer since it demonstrates honesty and integrity.”

Bruce Becker: “The consumer question is much more difficult because it would depend on the product being purchased. I'm not sure I would want to ask the manufacturer anything, though, but I may want to ask the retailer a question. Like what Mr. Retailer do you do to guarantee the safety of your customers?”

Felix Amiri: “What do you do to make sure every product you sell to consumers is safe for them to use every time?”

Sanja Petrušić: I like the idea of one question for an complicated situation. Thank you . . . for challenge. :) As consumer, same as auditor: Would you allow me to see your processes of making and serving products and meanwhile, how you make sure they safe for use? I whish all the best for all of you! :)”

H Charles Obert: "If I was limited to one question that would give me the best chance to evaluate the efficacy of the Food Safety program . . . I think I would ask to see the syllabus and attendance for the training to identify non-conforming products and corrective actions procedures to be at line employee and managerial levels of the operation as well as the log of non-conforming products.  If the plant has weak instructions and/or no log of non-conforming products with corrective actions, I would suspect the program.
Happy, healthy and prosperous year to each participant.
Charlie"

Sanja Petrušić: Oh, excuse my english. Thank you for the correction. Now I see, I missed the point in translation in second part. I ment "...what makes you confident that they safe for use?" 
Ooo, I need a lot of pratice in english. Croatia has been introduced HACCP, by law, just few years ago. There are ones who are doing things right always (with law, or without it). Buth, there are still many people (owners of restorants, hotels, bakeries...who are decision makers, and can not be fired) who think that it has nothing to do with them, and they are so confident they produce and serve food in the right way (wrong thinking of corse). Therefore, before proceeding with the teaching, we need to find out what are their views and change those that are wrong for food safety. Sometimes the rules, and penalties, or even the law is not enough. Pepole need education, and above all of it, they have to want to be taught.

Dr. Jo Head: What corrective actions are taken to ensure food safety when the product or process does not meet the requirements of your food safety plan?

nazeeha ajmal: Can u give a 100 % guarentee for your product??


Erik Van Dorp: What is % of non-conformity for your finished product for past 5 years regarding contaminants and microbio, basis EU regulations and as per analysis done by independent lab?

Mark Whitehead: My first response was "Why do I only get one question!" Assuming that it's simply an exercise, I go with Erik van Dorp's.

Dr. Jo Head: 'Would a more quantitative risk-based and proportionate approach and reaction to food safety help to promote honesty & integrity by avoiding unnecessary destruction of food that could have been consumed if it weren't for the application of the precautionary principle?' 

Jody Hamabata:  Hello my name is Jody Hamabata and I am new to this discussion board however I have spent 30 years working in the food industry. My question to a food manufacturer would be: List all the steps you have taken in your process to assure your finished product is safe for all consumers. Be sure to address all hazards, biological, chemical(including allergens), and physical. 

Joe Berglis: The one question I would ask is "Do you feel that your food safety is at a level that the general public would be satisfied that you are meeting their expectations?"

Mark Hujdic:  Ask the manufacturer about the verification and validation of the CCP if any


Jovana Igic: Do you put your product on the table for your loved ones?

Robert Roskowiak: I would prefer a question that I am sure that they would answer honestly, if you could find one. Maybe something like "can I have copies of documentation on the 3 times you have been audited?" or better yet "the last 3 audits you have performed on suppliers?"

Shelley Heap: My Question would be how do you ensure that your product meets food safety legislation? Ask for evidence of how this is reviewed and assessed.


BAC:
 Do you have a certified HACCP plan?

Marc Bohr: In my opinion there are so many things we have to think about (polution, safety, contamination, etc.) in every area of the production. E.g. the requirements for a gasket for food industry is enormous. There are hundreds of possibilities due to a mistake.  But if we talk about safety, independent in which area, we have hundreds of regulations, rules, etc. For me there is just one question: How do we guarantee that everybody stand to the rules by 100%?

Joseph Chizek: As unreasonable as "one question" seems, I think I would just ask for their last third party food safety audit score. Having given and received them in the past it's a good indicator of the company's attention to food safety details.

No comments:

Post a Comment